Colleagues from The Queen Elizabeth Hospital who have gone above and beyond during what has been an unprecedented year for the NHS have been celebrated and recognised their annual staff awards.
In a record year which saw over 550 staff and teams nominated, awards were handed out in 13 categories, including a special QEH 40 hero around, showcasing the incredible work of staff from across the Trust.
The 2020 winners are:
- We Care Award – Katie Ball, Staff Nurse, Tilney Ward
- We Act Award – Dr Ee Lim, FY1, Care for the Elderly
- We Listen Award – Julia Denyer, Sister, Emergency Department
- Patient Safety Champion Award – Helen Smith, Sister, Endoscopy
- Clinical Team of the Year Award – Tilney Ward
- Non-Clinical Team of the Year Award – Waste Team
- Volunteer of the Year Award – Jack McAllister, Front of House
- Leader of the Year Award – Pamela Chapman, Matron, Emergency Department
- Growing Our Own Award – Alice Cawte, Apprentice, Women & Children’s
- Behind the Scenes Award – Stewart Nimmo, Catering Manager
- Living Our Values Outstanding Contribution Award – Karon Strong, Matron, Division of Medicine
- Chairman’s Award for Excellence in Research & Innovation – Simina Stefanescu, Consultant, Dermatology
- QEH 40 Hero Award – Richard Brighty, Porter
Current COVID-19 restrictions unfortunately put on hold plans for the much anticipated awards ceremony, however, the Trust still managed to celebrate their amazing colleagues in style and by holding a virtual ceremony which premiered live on Facebook and YouTube for the public to watch.
Professor Steve Barnett, Chairman, commented: “We received an incredible number of nominations this year and it’s really humbling to read about all of the hard work that our teams are putting in across the Trust to deliver the best possible care for our patients and their families.
Despite not being able to celebrate quite how we would have liked, it was an honour to show off our winner’s achievements this evening. The virtual event actually allowed our staff, their friends, family and the general public to join us in recognising the fabulous achievement of these colleagues and teams.”
Caroline Shaw, CEO commented : “We would like to say a huge congratulations to our winners, to all of our amazing shortlisters and to the 550 staff, teams and volunteers who were nominated by patients, their families and colleagues for all the incredible work they’ve been putting in across the year.
“It’s safe to say we never expected to have a year like this, but every single member of Team QEH more than rose to the challenge and did all they could to provide an excellent service to our patients and their families, with many staff taking on extra work or new roles to support their colleagues as we have responded to COVID-19.
“The pandemic has shone a light on the strength and resilience of Team QEH and I am so proud to be their CEO and put some of our hospital heroes in the spotlight – which is nothing more than these colleagues deserve.”
Click here to view photos of the award winners and download press release.